Thursday, April 24, 2008

My Rides

I HATE traffic. I feel like it's such a waste of time and energy. Traffic is so bad here in Davis County the media has given it an official name. Davis County Bogdown. When I say bad, I'm not talking about LA where it takes 4 hours to go 30 miles, even at midnight. I'm talking an hour to an hour and a half both ways to Salt Lake City, which is 20 miles. I started riding mass transit when I started going to the University of Utah back in 2001. This was my ride to school and back.
I was able to get my homework done and take a nap on the way home. After graduating in 2003 I started my first real job working for Fidelity which is also downtown. We bought our first townhouse in Draper so I was able to start riding Trax into work.
I love Trax because no matter how bad the freeway was the rail always was the same pace everyday. I could study for the Series 7 stock broker license or read the newspaper. Then came a new job. I started at Zions Bank in 2005, which is also downtown but we moved back to Davis County. Farmington is where we built the new townhouse. Trax doesn't go to Davis County, but now I was able to take the express bus into work. A nice travel bus that hops right on the freeway, very comfortable.
Now, I know you are probably bored out of your mind or probably thinking does this have a point. Yes it does. You see, when I tell people I take mass transit most every place I go they think I'm a tree-hugger. Really, it's because I'm too tight with my money and my car hasn't had A/C for close to 5 years now (the new compressor and installation would cost close to $2k to fix). Most schools and places of employment give you free UTA transit passes. I figure I'm saving about $300 plus dollars a month plus my sanity riding the transit. I have been socking that away for when my 1994 Acura Vigor decides to die. I don't believe it's ready to go anytime soon. I do believe it is one of those cars that becomes annoyingly old and won't ever just quit. It never has had any big cost repairs needed. I've had to replace the tires and the windshield and the oil every now and then. When it does die I'm ready, Ferrari F360 here I come! UTA has now built an actual train called the Front Runner that opens tomorrow 04/26/2008 to the public. Luckily the train station is about a mile away from my house. Looks like I'll have a new ride.
Yes, I am excited that I am helping save the earth, it's an added bonus!

1 comment:

Justin said...

I have testimony also of mass transit! I am all about taking the express bus or trax into work everyday. We wish they would hurry up and connect Front Runner to Utah County. It would be so nice to be able to ride the train all the way from our home to your home.