Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Arbitration

Tomorrow is my arbitration hearing. For those of you who don't know, I am being sued.

I bumped, well barely nudged, into the back of a ladies car almost five years ago. My insurance company told me the damage to her car was not even $300. If the car companies had gone back to using rubber bumpers, as my Grandpa Christensen lobbied for them to do when he was President of All-State, then we would of shook hands and been on our merry ways. But no, she wasn't going to let it go that easily.

Last summer I received the papers that she was suing me for an absurd amount of money. It was strange because it had been almost four years since the accident. I then found out that in Utah if you don't file the lawsuit within four years of the accident you loose the chance to. I got the papers two weeks before the chance would of expired.

So over the last year we have had depositions and all of the fun legal stuff that has to happen. Like the "discovery" period where they find out all sorts of stuff about the people involved. Then two months ago I get the letter that instead of going to trial we are going to have an arbitration and hopefully end this once and for all. I was relieved, especially since I had two months to mentally prepare for it.

Now I have less than 24 hours and I can feel my stomach slowly turning into knots. I had a freak out yesterday about nothing, Sean was nice enough to say it was from the stress. So I am writing this to let you all know that you should never hit anyone, OK a little out of our control. But if you do call me in the next 24 hours and I am not as chipper as normal, now you know why.

I will post the results tomorrow. Hopefully it all goes well.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey Sarah its Melissa! I hope its ok that I checked out your blog. I stumpled on as I was surfing a bunch of friends and I came across yours. Good luck tomarrow.

Claire said...

okay seriously the lamest story I have ever heard. So basically this lady has all of a sudden run in to terrible financial crisis and is probably on the brink of bankruptcy and is like "hmm, how can i get some extra cash? Oh I know... I will just sue someone!" She should just be shot! Good luck Sarah... you will be just fine. The judge will totally rule in your favor for sure!

Justin said...

Good luck tomorrow. We'll call you to find out the verdict.